What do 'lvalue' and 'rvalue' mean in C/C++?
In this tutorial we are gonna learn what is Lvalye and what is Rvalue. And how do we use it in programming ?
Consider the following expression:
An "lvalue" is an expression, variable, constant etc which appears at left-hand side of an assignment operator.
In the expression result =(a+b); - result is an "lvalue".
An "rvalue" is an expression, variable, constant etc which appears at right- hand side of an alignment operator.
In the expression result =(a+b); - (a+b) is an "rvalue";
Consider the following expression, which is also a valid "lvalue" assignment.
|((a+b)? a:b) =10;
In the expression, either a or b will be the result of "lvalue" expression and 10 can be assigned in a or b. so this expression is also a valid expression.
Related Articles :-
1. Introduction And Getting Started With C
2. Basic Of C Language
3. Why We Should Use C Language
4. Applications Of C Programming
5. Basic Rules For Writting C Program
6. Keywords In C Language
7. Comments In C Programming
8. Tokens In C
9. Difference Between Int Main And Void Main
10. C Processor And Macros
11. Variables In C
12. Types Of Variables In C
13. Difference Between Local And Global Variable
14. Difference Bwtween Auto / Extern / Static Variable
15. Constant In C
16. How To Access Global Variable Using Extern Keyword In C
17. Exit And Return Staterment In C
18. Print Float Value Upto N Decimals In C Programming
19. How To Print Multiline Message Using Single Printf In C Programming ?
20. What Value Returned By Scanf Function In C Language ?
21. What Value Is Returned By Printf And Scanf In C
22. What Do 'Lvalue' And 'Rvalue' Mean In C/C++?
23. Errors In C Programming ?